Friday, August 12, 2011

I have a pinguecula. What are my removal options?

A pinguecula developed on my right eye a few days after I was born. I am now sixteen years old and I would LOVE to have it removed. My pinguecula is very large, red, and swollen all the time. It often appears to cover the entire white of my eye. Several inflamed veins run near and on the pinguecula. It hurts, itches, bothers me daily. I often feel like there is a small foreign object in my eye. Kind of like a piece of dust or sand sometimes. Drops do help, but I can't just use then all the time. No doctor, ophthalmologist, optometrist, or eye surgeon has ever given my parents a straight answer regarding what will happen to it in the future or whether I will eventually be able to have it removed. My parents had my eye examined by my pediatrician when they first noticed the pinguecula. She sent my to an optometrist who diagnosed it as a benign "freckle". Optometrist recommended laser removal before puberty, at which time the pinguecula may turn brown, she warned. It has never changed colors, although did grow by about a millimeter during puberty. A few years ago, I started seeing an ophthalmologist, who told me that it is a dermiod, and that laser removal for such a thing did not exist. Furthermore, surgical removal may damage the eye and potential for re-growth is high. The pinguecula partially touches my iris. As a result, no pediatric eye surgeon will even see me, let alone give me a consultation. I have beautiful eyes, and I would love for someone to be able to look me in the eye without asking "oh, do you have pink eye?" or "Dear, what happened to your eye?" It's never really bothered my, and I'm used to it, I'm more self confident than that, but it's getting old. All my life, since pre-school, i've answered very politely, "oh, it's no big deal. I was born with it. It's like a freckle, except in my eye. No I can't see it." I'm just wondering if anyone has had removal surgery, and what was the outcome. Please let me know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment